A ceiling fan remote can suddenly stop working as it can face too many issues, however, if your Hunter fan remote is not working you need to check out these troubleshooting tips to fix the issue.
If your Hunter fan is not responding to the remote, you can fix it by changing its batteries and programming the receiver and transmitter on the same frequency. If it does not fix the issue then try to change the control frequency and make sure that the remote has a strong infra red signal strength.
After that let’s discuss what are the other issues you can face with this step-by-step guide to find out the problem and fix it.
There is no doubt in saying that most remote control problems are the same regardless of the brand and models.
Please Note: If you are a DIY expert and willing to work on your Hunter ceiling fan then the first thing to remember is to turn off the power to your ceiling fan from the circuit breaker of your house.
Why Is My Hunter Fan Not Responding To The Remote?
- First of all, you need to check if the power is switched on to your Hunter fan. For that, you need to ensure that the home circuit breaker is turned on.
- It can be turned off if there is a power surge and as a result, the fan will be turned off. However, whenever you will start any electrical work on your fan, the first step is to make sure that you have switched off the circuit breaker.
- Use the remote to turn the fan on. If the ceiling fan is still not answering it, and if your fan does have wall control or pull chains, you can use either of those to turn on the ceiling fan.
- If the ceiling fan is still not working after using either pull chains or wall control, it means that the problem is with your ceiling fan rather than your remote.
- If your Hunter fan is working with wall control or pull chains, it means that the problem is in the remote. To find out, the first step is to ensure that your remote’s batteries are not dead and the battery compartment or contact points are not corroded.
- If there is corrosion, you need to remove the batteries and use a Q-Tip with a little vinegar to clean the contact points of batteries.
Additionally, you can also use a small piece of sandpaper in order to sand the contact points. Insert the new batteries and try using the remote to find out if it has solved the issue.
You should use the remote closer to the ceiling fan to make sure that it is not happening because of weak signal. If it is happening due to a weak signal, we also have a solution for this and we will share it soon. That section is available in this guide and you might want to jump to it.
After changing the batteries and ensuring that the ceiling fan is working, you have to move on to the next steps if the ceiling fan is still not responding to the remote.
Check The Hunter Remote Control Infra Red Signal
- If your fan has infra-red technology, make sure that the lenses of infra-red are clean. You will be able to locate a sending lens on the remote and a receiving lens on the fan. To make a good communication link, you need to wipe them both to clean them.
- If the fan is still not responding the remote, you might be dealing with a malfunctioning infra-red light. You can check it easily with a smart phone.
- Digital cameras have the feature to detect the Infra Red signal so the first step is to go to the camera app on your smartphone.
Next, take the remote control of your Hunter fan, and aim it toward your camera.
Press the buttons of your Hunter remote and at the same time look at the screen of your phone.
You want the light from the remote to show on your on your phone’s screen. If the light appears on the screen of your phone, it indicates that the Infra-Red signal from the remote is working.
- If you see that the light visible on your phone screen stays on even if you are not pressing any buttons, it means that one of the keys of the remote is stuck. You will have to fix it as it may be sending the same commands repeatedly.
Please watch the video below to learn about these steps.
If your remote and ceiling fan are still not talking then you will have to move on to the next steps to make sure they are paired and are set on the same frequency.
How Do I Reset My Hunter Remote
To reset your Hunter fan remote, there are three ways available using either dip switches or a pairing button.
1. If your remote’s pairing button is on the reverse side, which can be seen by removing the battery cover, then first switch off power to the fan from the switch breaker, turn the power on again, and within three minutes of restoring power, press the pair but do not hold it.
A beep will ensure the successful pairing.
Please also read our article on How To Pair A Hunter Fan Remote
2. If you have an older fan and the remote has Dip switches then you will need to match the Dip switch settings on your remote as well as on your Hunter ceiling fan. For detailed instructions, you can read our article: How To Pair a Hunter Fan Remote.
3. If you have a remote that does not have Dip switches and a pairing button then you will have to follow the suggestions available in the video and check out related article: Pairing a Hunter Fan Remote. The guide has a step-by-step guide to programming your remote without Dip switches or a pairing button.
If you have tried all the above tips and your remote is still not working, the problem could be in the electronics inside the remote or even inside your ceiling fan.
You can get a remote replacement and change it with another same design. Ideally, you should get the same remote from the manufacturer of the ceiling fan brand that you are using or a Universal remote that is from the same brand to work with your fan. If you are looking for a Universal Remote that is compatible with your Hunter ceiling fan, please check our handpicked models of Hunter Universal Remotes.
If these steps do not fix your issue, you might need help from a licensed electrician here as the problem might be bigger.
You might need to replace your remote or the receiver. You need to check out this informative article on Hunter Ceiling Fan Replacement Parts for additional information and learn how to contact Hunter’s Support team. You should know your model number while contacting the support team. To find your model number, please watch this video below.
You might also want to learn about the additional topics below related to your Hunter Fan Remote.
How Can I Reset My Hunter Remote?
Newer Hunter fan remotes are designed with a pairing button on the reverse side that can pair and unpair the remote.
If your Hunter ceiling fan is programmed then turn off the power to the fan at circuit breaker for at least 10 seconds, then turn on the power again.
Within the span of 3 minutes when you are turning on the power, ensure that your remote is near the Hunter fan receiver that you want to sync with and press the pair button but do not hold it. (The pair button is available on the reverse side of the remote. It can be seen by opening the battery compartment).
This step will unpair your Hunter ceiling fan. To pair your Hunter ceiling fan, repeat the same steps again.
You might also want to read our related article on How To Program A Hunter Ceiling Fan
Why is My Hunter Remote Blue Light On?
There are two causes why your Hunter remote blue light stays on. Usually, it remains on momentarily after pressing any of the remote keys.
If your Hunter remote blue light stays on, it is either your remote is faulty or the batteries inside it are dead and need replacement. Another cause the light might remain on is when one of the remote buttons is stuck and is constantly in the pressed state. In this case, it can be fixed by unsticking the button that is in the pressed position.
Here is a full list of reasons that might be causing your Hunter fan remote blue light to stay on.
- Weak or Dead batteries in the remote – Replace Them
- Battery contacts in the Remote need cleaning – Clean the dirty Contacts
- Remote settings contain glitches – Power Cycle the Hunter Fan
- A faulty remote control unit – Replace Hunter Remote with new one
- Incorrect Dip switch settings set on the receiver – Reset Dip Switches
- Defective receiver – Install a New One
Where Is The Dip Switch Location On A Hunter Fan?
The Hunter fan DIP switches are available under the battery compartment on the remote and are on the flat side of the receiver. Please check Figure 1 above.
When you are changing the dip switch settings, you need to remove the battery from the remote and switch off the fan’s power.
How Do I Sync My New Hunter Fan Remote?
To sync your new Hunter Fan Remote please check out our guide on How To Pair Hunter Fan Remote.
These are a few troubleshooting tips for your Hunter fan remote. Just keep in mind that a faulty remote can be fixed by replacing the old batteries. However, this does not work in all cases but we have discussed almost all the reasons why your Hunter fan remote is not working and how to fix it.